Rights Watch condemns Kuwait's handover of eight Egyptians to their country News -

Top News

Human Rights Watch condemned on its website the extradition of eight Egyptians to Cairo "despite the serious risk of being subjected to torture and persecution" in Egypt. It noted that their extradition "appears to violate Kuwait's obligations under international law".

Last Friday, Kuwait announced the arrest of an "Egyptian cell of the Muslim Brotherhood" who had been sentenced to five to 15 years in prison by Egyptian courts.

Deputy Foreign Minister Khalid al-Jarallah said on Sunday that his country handed over the arrested to Egypt under the joint agreements between the two sides. The interior ministry said investigations were still underway to find other members of the cell.

Sarah Leah Whitson, director of the Middle East and North Africa division of the organization, said that "the Kuwaiti authorities put at risk eight people who fled the collective repression and thought they had found refuge in Kuwait."

The organization urged Kuwaiti authorities not to extradite others to Egypt and to hold those responsible responsible for the recent extradition.

WB / HZ (AFP, AFP)

Sign up for our free – – – and receive our best articles in your inbox.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Powered by Blogger.