Sudanese police dispersed marches demanding an investigation into the dismantling of the sit - in Khartoum News -

Top News

Sudanese police fired tear gas on Sunday (July 28) to disperse dozens of protesters demanding an independent inquiry into the crackdown on protesters in front of the army headquarters in Khartoum last month, although an official inquiry accused eight officers of involvement.

Sudanese investigators from the public prosecution and the military junta on Saturday revealed that elements of the security forces, including a general in the rapid support forces, took part in the bloody operation to break the sit-in on June 3, without receiving official orders.

But the leaders of the protests questioned the results of the investigation, and renewed their demand to form an independent commission of inquiry that does not include representatives of the security services. Saturday's demonstrations took place in this context.

Dozens of people also demonstrated on Sunday in the streets of the eastern suburb of Buri in response to calls from a group of professionals who launched protests against former Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir. The protesters shouted "freedom of peace and justice" and "civilian civilian", witnesses said. Witnesses said riot police quickly dispersed protesters by tear gas, while protesters responded by throwing stones at the troops.

Protesters and human rights organizations have repeatedly accused the rapid support forces, led by Vice-President of the junta, Mohammad Hamdan Daglo, known as Hamditi, of attacking the protesters, while Hamidati says it is a claim to discredit his forces. The junta has repeatedly insisted that he did not order broke up the sit-in.

In regard to a related ruling military junta and the leaders of the protest movement in Sudan Tuesday to resume negotiations on the constitutional declaration on the formation of a civilian government in the transitional period, according to the African mediator announced and one of the protest leaders Sunday.

On 17 July, army and protest leaders initialed a "political declaration" to form a joint military-civilian council to establish a transitional administration to run the country for a 39-month period, one of the main demands of the protesters.

Under the new agreement, the military will first head the transitional body for 21 months, with the presidency moving to civilians for 18 months.

D. Q (AFP, Reuters)

Sign up for our free – – – and receive our best articles in your inbox.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Powered by Blogger.