UAE approves withdrawal of some troops from Yemen News -

Top News

A senior UAE official said on Monday (July 8, 2019) that the United Arab Emirates is withdrawing troops in Yemen as part of a "redeployment" for "strategic and tactical" reasons.

Abu Dhabi is moving from a "military strategy" to a "peace first" plan, the official told reporters in Dubai, preferring not to be identified.

"There is a reduction in troop numbers for strategic reasons in Hodeidah (west) and tactical reasons in other areas," the official said. "It is about moving from (…) the strategy of military force first to the peace strategy first."

Another Emirati official said at the end of last month that "there are some moves by UAE forces in Yemen," but stressed that "the UAE remains fully committed to the Arab alliance and will not leave a vacuum in Yemen."
The UAE is part of a military alliance in Yemen, led by Saudi Arabia, to support Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi against Houthi rebels who have taken over vast areas. The war has since killed tens of thousands of people, amid international criticism of the warring sides of the country, one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world.

The war has displaced some 3.3 million people in Yemen and 24 million people, or more than two-thirds of the population, need assistance, according to the United Nations.

MFA / HZ (AFP)

Sign up for our free – – – and receive our best articles in your inbox.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Powered by Blogger.